The compressor is one of the most important, but also most misunderstood audio tools.
It is used to level dynamics, to “glue” a group of instruments, to duck sounds relative to each other, and to color via harmonics.
Frequently asked questions are:
· How do you compress a vocal to obtain a smooth sound?
· How do you avoid pumping in a compressor?
· How do you create more punch with a compressor?
· When should a compressor sit before or after an equalizer?
· When does multiband compression make sense?
More technical questions include:
· When do you use peak or RMS detection?
· How do you set up serial/parallel/side-chain compression?
· What is fake upward compression/low-level compression?
· How do you make use of non-linear release speeds?
· How does a ratio dependent gain reduction cap work?