Mastering is the polishing of a finished mix, as well as the final step in quality control.
Mastering often involves EQ, compression, stereo image optimization, noise and click removal, as well as considering a suitable loudness target.
Typical topics include:
· Choice of equipment, monitoring and acoustic treatment
· Compression and equalizing in mastering
· Izotope RX Advanced spectral repair
· Master limiting, soft clipping or A/D clipping
· Loudness and streaming norms
Esoteric topics include:
· Holistic versus reductionistic workflow
· Lossy encoding (psychoacoustic compression)
· Inter-sample peaks and True Peaks
· CD Red Book/DDP or vinyl mastering
· Testing and calibrating